Current track



Current show

The Love Connection

10:00 pm 12:00 am

Current show

The Love Connection

10:00 pm 12:00 am

FA Cup – Ilkeston Town vs Hanley Town.

Written by on 5 October 2020

The Hanley Town dream has come to an end as a tough loss at a solid Ilkeston side has finished their FA Cup Journey.

Ilkeston dominated the opening of the match with Troke showing his physicality and putting Chapman to test early on with a snap shot with a smart save at Chapmans near post. The tides started to change in the 21st minute and so did the score line. A very good attack from Hanley and Ashton shot hard and low from 20 yards out and it went through the hands of Durrant to send the Hanley Town fans into a frenzy.

But then the tides changed again and Ilkeston pulled back a very good comeback, it started in the 34th minute with a smart finish at the near post by Zak Goodson and it would then get better for Ilkeston when 3 minutes later Watson hit the ball into the top right corner after a good layoff by Goodson and Watson ran off shushing the Hanley Fans which sparked an angry reaction from the away sides fans.

In the opening 25 minutes of the second half Hanley Town were putting pressure onto the Ilkeston backline and just like the previous round, Ricardo Fuller entered the field and won a penalty, but it wouldn’t have the best of endings. Fuller stepped up but it was a weak penalty and Durrant got low and saved it in the bottom left corner, a couple of seconds later Ilkeston had a huge penalty complaint denied when Goodson seemed to dive to try and get the upper hand of the referee, he was then booked for simulation.

In the 82nd minute the game was sealed for Ilkeston, Goodman and Troke combined with Troke laying the ball for Goodman to slide it into the net to put Ilkeston 3-1 up and confirming their name in the hat for the next round.

There weren’t finished there though, a silly foul in the 88th minute in the box and Ilkeston were given a penalty of their own, Niall Cope was sent off for Hanley so they would finish the game with 10 men and to make matters even worse Troke did what Fuller couldn’t do and dispatched the penalty in a cool fashion to send the home team 4-1 up.


Chairman Ron McIlreavy and Manager Mick Morton looked distressed after the full-time whistle as they believe the score line was not justified after a fighting performance from Hanley.

Mick Morton stated that he believed that two mistakes were made after his side went 1-0 up early on, he said ‘It was two mistakes from us and it’s the same old story’ ‘Coming off the back of last season, we never would’ve thought we’d get this far’

He did recognise the fight the team has gone through to get to this stage, he stated ‘The Lads have worked there tabs off’ and ‘The lads left nothing out on the pitch’ he also took nothing away from Ilkeston’s performance saying ‘We take nothing away from Ilkeston they are a very strong side with a good team and management’