Current track

Title

Artist

Current show

Friday Night Party

7:00 pm 10:00 pm

Current show

Friday Night Party

7:00 pm 10:00 pm


Legoland reviews ride policies after boy in wheelchair forced to prove he could walk

Written by on 17 December 2020

Legoland is reviewing its ride policies following a campaign by the mother of a disabled child who was told to prove he could walk.

Sebby Brett was forced to get out of his wheelchair and take three steps before being allowed on the Ninjango ride, which prompted his mother Joanna to push for a change to the evacuation rules.

Before his visit in September last year, Sebby, who cannot walk short distances without help due to a condition similar to cerebral palsy, had undergone four operations in 12 months and had been looking forward to enjoying his favourite ride.

Image:
Sebby had undergone four operations before his visit to Legoland

After finishing on the ride, the youngster, now aged seven, had asked his mother: “Why would they make a disabled person walk? It really hurt.”

Despite booking a disabled pass, Mrs Brett said staff at the park had not made her aware there would be any accessibility issues.

Mrs Brett said her family was “humiliated” by the incident.

More from UK

Legoland Windsor has now said it will remove the requirement for disabled guests to walk 10m (33ft) or up steps before getting on eight of their rides.

The policies will be reviewed immediately, with changes taking effect from March 2021, after a petition for more inclusive parks – spearheaded by Mrs Brett – was signed by more than 27,000 people.

The move follows talks with the Gloucestershire family, a disability rights lawyer and a discussion in parliament.

Undated handout photo of Joanna and Duncan Brett with their children Lottie and Sebby. Legoland has agreed to review their evacuation policies for three rides, following a campaign by the mother of a disabled child who was made to prove he could walk at the theme park.
Image:
Legoland said it looked forward to the Brett family’s continued ‘valuable input’

Mrs Brett said her family was delighted by the news.

“Sebby can’t wait to return to Legoland and know he can just have fun, that he won’t be made to walk,” she said. “He asked if we can go tomorrow and was disappointed when I said he needs to wait a few months!

“His sister Lottie is really excited he can come on the same rides as her.

“This has been done with no changes or disadvantage to able-bodied people.”

The family has been invited back to Legoland next year once the change takes place.

The theme park also made a donation to Small Steps, a charity that helped Sebby with his strength training before he started school.

Undated handout photo of Sebby Brett with his sister Lottie. Legoland has agreed to review their evacuation policies for three rides, following a campaign by the mother of a disabled child who was made to prove he could walk at the theme park.
Image:
Lottie Brett (left) is excited her brother Brett will be able to go on the same rides

A Legoland spokesperson said the park is “reviewing our staff training and how we communicate ride restrictions and accessibility to guests” before and during their visits.

They said they look forward to the Brett family’s “valuable input”.

“We are proud of the changes we have already made but we know that we can always do more and we are committed to doing more,” they said.