Current track

Title

Artist

Current show

Roll Back the Carpets

5:00 pm 7:00 pm

Current show

Roll Back the Carpets

5:00 pm 7:00 pm


Harry and Meghan unlikely to return to social media after abandoning Instagram account

Written by on 10 January 2021

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are believed to have no plans to return to social media for future projects, more than nine months since they ceased use of their popular Instagram account.

Harry and Meghan chalked up more than 10 million Instagram followers as working royals, but have not posted on the @SussexRoyal account since stepping back from their working responsibilities last year.

The couple have set up the Archewell Foundation, a non-profit organisation aimed at “driving cultural change” and putting “compassion into action,” but a report in The Times suggests it will not have any social media pages.

Sky News understands, however, that suggestions they plan to “quit” social media are wide of the mark – as they currently do not use any such platforms.

Image:
The official website of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex is not managed by the couple

Sky’s royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills said that while no official comment from the couple’s team was forthcoming, Harry and Meghan “currently have no social media to quit”.

However, it’s understood they will continue to “bring attention to ways that the digital world can be improved in a more compassionate and trustworthy way”.

The couple have spoken out in the past about the negative aspects of social media, with the Duchess of Sussex speaking about the “almost unsurvivable” experience of online trolling.

More from Meghan Markle

Back in October, she revealed she had no social media accounts for her “own self-preservation”.

“For my own self-preservation, I have not been on social media for a very long time,” Meghan told Fortune magazine’s Most Powerful Women Next Gen Summit.

“I made a personal choice to not have any account, so I don’t know what’s out there.

“And in many ways that’s helpful for me.”

File photo dated 19/05/18 of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle leaving St. George's Chapel in Windsor Castle after their wedding. One hundred days have passed since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit as senior working royals. The move dubbed Megxit came into effect on March 31, when Harry and Meghan stopped using their HRH titles.
Image:
The couple married in 2018

Meghan had her own personal social media accounts before marrying into the royal family, but deleted them.

The @SussexRoyal Instagram account last posted on 30 March 2020, thanking followers for their support and urging people to stay safe amid the-then early days of the coronavirus pandemic.

It’s been a year since Harry and Meghan said they were backing away from royal life.