COVID-19: Newcastle United’s Joelinton fined for getting haircut in lockdown after posting about it on Instagram
Written by Hitmix News on 4 February 2021
Newcastle United’s Joelinton has been fined £200 for breaching COVID-19 restrictions after he posted a photo of himself getting a haircut.
The Brazilian, who signed for the Premier League club for £40m in 2019, was investigated by Northumbria Police following the post he shared on Instagram last week.
The mirror selfie showed the 24-year-old striker sitting in a chair with barber Tom Baxter behind him, with both wearing face coverings.
Image: The Brazilian player has been issued a Fixed Penalty Notice for breaking COVID rules. Pic: AP
A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “On Friday (29 January) we were made aware of a social media post involving a 24-year-old man and a 35-year-old man who may be in breach of coronavirus restrictions.
“We have since spoken to the 24-year-old man, who will be issued with a £200 fixed penalty notice (FPN) under the coronavirus legislation.
“The local authority, who are responsible for enforcement in relation to businesses, has served a 35-year-old man with a prohibition notice.”
Mr Baxter, based in Newcastle, was using his garage in North Tyneside to carry out the cut, it was understood.
North Tyneside Council confirmed it had issued a prohibition notice to the barber.
Newcastle United, who suffered a COVID-19 outbreak at their training ground late last year, have previously said they will take internal action against Joelinton.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
Barber denies lockdown trims. Customer arrives
England is currently under a full lockdown and government advice says everyone should stay at home unless to shop for basic necessities, exercise and to go to work if you cannot work from home.
Those who break the rules can be given a FPN of £200 for the first offence, doubling for further offences up to a maximum of £6,400.