Current track



Current show

The Love Connection

10:00 pm 12:00 am

Current show

The Love Connection

10:00 pm 12:00 am

Life behind bars for Murder

Written by on 9 May 2021

A second man has been jailed for murder after phone and DNA evidence provided a link to a fatal stabbing in Stoke-on-Trent.

Richard Street, aged 30, of no fixed address, was jailed for 22 years on Friday(6 May) at Stafford Crown Court.

He was found guilty on 5 October of the murder of Anas Chergat, following a trial at the same court.

Alan Martyn, aged 46, also of no fixed address, was jailed for 24 years and three months on 9 February at Birmingham Crown Court after pleading guilty to the murder of Mr Chergat in a hearing on July 28.

The court heard that the men had been seen on CCTV trying to dispose of mobile phones that linked them to the crime in a storm drain.

A charging cable at Mr Chergat’s house also bore DNA from Martyn.

Mr Chergat, 26, who was born in Morocco, had moved to the UK in 2014 and then from London onto Stoke-on-Trent.

Street, who was active in the supply of cannabis and owed approximately £5,000, was under pressure to repay debts and had partnered with Martyn shortly before the murder.

On 22 August 2019 Martyn visited Mr Chergat at his home address in Sandon Street, Etruria. Martyn admitted to supplying cannabis to him with an expectation of payment at a later date.

At approximately 2pm Martyn and Street went to a local supermarket and bought a mobile phone which was kept by Martyn for use in dealing cannabis.

It is believed that during a visit later that evening an argument took place over the cannabis that had been supplied to Mr Chergat by Martyn.

Street left Martyn with Mr Chergat and sent a series of threatening text messages which were believed to be related to the cannabis deal. The texts from Street are believed to have put further pressure on Martyn, who stabbed Anas Chergat.

On leaving the address Martyn took the victim’s mobile phones, leaving his DNA on a charging cable in the process.

At around 1.30am Street and Martyn were captured on CCTV disposing of the victim’s phones down a storm drain. These phones were subsequently recovered and through meticulous work the detectives were able to link the phones involved and place the men at the scene.

Anas’s father, Youssef Chergat, paid tribute to his son. “I wanted to see justice done for my son. I now understand what happened to Anas. He was innocent and he could not defend himself as he would never carry a knife.

“I’m so sorry and so sad, but I am grateful to the people in Stoke-on-Trent who spoke up for Anas and who were prepared to be witnesses. They have helped to deliver justice for my son and I thank them for this.”

Detective Inspector Alan Lyford, of Staffordshire Police, said: “We are glad that Martyn and Street have now been convicted for the murder of Anas Chergat and are serving lengthy sentences. We hope this brings some comfort to his family who have had to deal with his loss.

“This was a complex case and detectives worked extremely hard with prosecutors to ensure justice was served. We’re grateful to those people who came forward in Etruria to help us bring the case before the courts and secure this outcome.”

Both men had earlier pleaded guilty to supplying cannabis to Mr Chergat, for which they received concurrent sentences of nine months.