Current track



Current show

The Love Connection

9:00 pm 12:00 am

Current show

The Love Connection

9:00 pm 12:00 am

Local Non League Match Reports – Tues 1st Nov

Written by on 1 November 2022

Local Non League Match Reports – Tues 1st Nov

By Dave Johnson

Macclesfield 4 v 1 Workington AFC

Newly appointed boss Dave McNabb got off to a perfect start as table-toppers Macclesfield saw off the challenge of second-placed Workington in his first game in charge.

A bumper crowd at Moss Rose saw the Silkmen go in front against their closest challengers when, following a well-worked corner kick, Neil Kengni rifled the ball into the roof of the net in the 26th minute.

In first half stoppage time, James Berry was hauled down inside the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Up stepped Alex Curran who made no mistake, firing home to double his side’s lead.

Four minutes into the second half the visitors pulled a goal back when Scott Allison beat home ‘keeper Marcelo Pitagula to give his side some hope.

Late goals from Nicky Maynard (79 mins) and Neil Danns (81 mins) left the visitors in no doubt about which way the game would end up, with Macclesfield extending their lead at the top of the table to four points

Trafford 0 v 2 Leek Town

Leek took full advantage of Workington’s defeat to leap-frog them into second place in the table with a well-earned victory away to Trafford.

Unbeaten in nine league games going into this one, Leek are still yet to taste defeat on their travels and they made it ten unbeaten.

Boss Neil Baker looked on as his side got themselves into the driving seat with 19 minutes gone when Rob Stevenson found the net.

They doubled their advantage in the 72nd minute when Tim Grice netted a second goal to allay any fears of an equaliser from the home side and they finished deserved winners.

Congleton Town 3 v 1 Barnton (Cheshire Senior Cup)

After throwing away a two-goal lead at the weekend Congleton needed to show they were not an easy touch and managed to get their noses in front early on in the game.

With just four minutes gone player boss Richard Duffy met a corner kick, planting a bullet header past Barton ‘keeper Dylan Cross.

Not content with that, The Bears added a second goal in the 16th minute, this time it was debutant Rocco Fregapane who sent an unstoppable free kick into the top corner of the net.

The visitors had a goal ruled out on 56 minutes, but if there were any doubts which way the game was going, Sankey put them to bed midway through the second half. His initial effort came back off the upright but he made no mistake with the loose ball.

The visitors pulled back a consolation goal with two minutes of the game remaining but by then the hard work had been done and there was never any doubt about the results.