Current track



Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Midweek Non-League Football – 15.11.22

Written by on 15 November 2022

Match Reports by Dave Johnson

Newcastle Town 0 v 1 Colne

A disappointing performance by Robin van der Laan’s side saw Newcastle drop another three home points with struggling Colne taking the spoils with a 1-0 win.

Heavy rain throughout the day had at one time put the game in doubt, but the two sides were given the go-ahead to get the game underway in difficult conditions at the Lyme Valley Stadium.

Newcastle thought they had taken the lead when they had the ball in the Colne net, but it was disallowed, then it was the visitors’ turn to go close when Enock struck the upright.

Colne stepped things up in the second half and after having a penalty appeal turned down, they went in front when Luke Stowe broke forward before finding Lucas Weaver in the box and he fired an unstoppable shot past Owen Mooney.

Leek Town 3 v 0 Widnes

Leek Town put the pressure on leaders Macclesfield, cutting their lead at the top of the table to one point with a 3-0 home win over struggling Widnes.

The home side took an early lead when Rob Stevenson stuck the ball past visiting ‘keeper Luc Rees for his seventh of the season in the 8th minute.

Six minutes into the second half Leek increased their lead when Josh Ryder netted their second to put the home side well in command.

Neil Baker’s side further increased their lead in the 77th minute when Stevenson grabbed his second goal of the game – his 8th of the season, and it was effectively all over.

Leek now look forward to an FA Trophy fixture away to Chorley, and they go into the game looking in great shape.

Congleton Town 3 v 2 Winsford United

Congleton Town came back from two goals down to continue their remarkable record at the Cleric Stadium with yet another win when they beat Winsford United with a last gasp winner.

In an action-packed opening forty-five minutes it was the visitors who drew first blood after just three minutes when a corner to the far post was met by the head of Winsford skipper Steve Jenyons.

Any thoughts the Bears may have had that it would be straightforward to get straight back into the game were put to bed when a long-range effort from Nathan Cotterell in the 33rd minute made it 2-0 to Winsford.

Congleton have a reputation for their superb home form this season and they were not about to bow down and take it and they pulled a goal back on 37 minutes when George Sankey beat the ‘keeper at his near post.

There was further good news for home supporters who had braved the rain when, on the stroke of half time Jordi Nsaka was on the mark to put the Bears on level terms.

Just when it looked like the Bears were about to drop home points for a=only the second time this season, up popped Pete Williams to settle matters.

Nantwich Town 1 v 1 Gainsborough Trinity

In difficult conditions and the rain falling heavily Nantwich knew that full concentration was necessary as they hosted a Gainsborough Trinity side who had a top of the table spot in their sights.

A win would guarantee The Holy Blues would leap-frog Hyde United, but of course a rejuvenated Nantwich side had other ideas.

But just as it looked like The Dabbers were about to add another point to their total they were struck a huge blow, with hardly any time to hit back.

With just three minutes to go the referee pointed to the spot, awarding the visitors a penalty. Clayton Donaldson converted the spot-kick leaving Natwich needing a miracle.

And their prayers were answered in the 90th minute when Harry Nevin came to the rescue to earn his side a valuable point.