Current track



Current show

The BIG Breakfast Show

7:00 am 11:00 am

Current show

The BIG Breakfast Show

7:00 am 11:00 am

26.11.22 – Local Non League Match Reports

Written by on 26 November 2022

Local Non League Match Reports – by Dave Johnson

Trafford 2 v 2 Newcastle Town

Newcastle came from behind to lead at Trafford but ended up having to settle for a single point and without a win in their last four games.

The home side went in front in the 16th minute when a through-ball split their defence and Ryan Morton took full advantage, firing past ‘Castle ‘keeper Joe Slinn.

Trafford didn’t hold the lead for long, however, with Kyle Stubbs getting Newcastle back on level terms three minutes later.

Six minutes into the second half Ollie Ritchie put the visitors in front for the first time in the game, but Morton struck his and Trafford’s second to see the two sides share the points.


Widnes 1 v 2 Kidsgrove Athletic

Kidsgrove made the trip to face basement outfit Widnes knowing that maximum points were more than achievable and they got the win they were after to remain on the coat-tails of the play-off contenders.

Will Saxon beat Cameron Terry in the Widnes goal in the 9th minute to put the visitors in the driving seat and Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi doubled the lead on the hour.

Four minutes later the two sides were both down to ten men when Widnes substitute Luke Sephton and Grove’s Lewis Bergin were both given their marching orders.

In the 67th minute the home side were given some hope when Jay Roberts reduced the arrears, but it was Kidsgrove who came out the victors to keep themselves in the hunt with their fourth win in five games.

Leek Town 1 v 0 Colne

Leek Town kept up the pressure on leaders Macclesfield with a narrow win over struggling Colne at Harrison Park with Rob Stevenson’s goal separating the sides.

The home side took the lead in the 26th minute with a goal that was scored in controversial fashion, amid protests from the visitors who complained to the match officials, believing the goal should not have stood.

Widnes claimed their ‘keeper Andre Mendes was in front of the goal line when he caught Stevenson’s header, but both the referee and the linesman disagreed and the goal stood.

Second-placed Leek’s next game is a big one, when they take on fourth-places Runcorn Linnets next weekend and they will be hoping home advantage will hold the key.

Prescot Cables 1 v 2 Macclesfield

Macclesfield came from behind to take the spoils to maintain their four goal advantage at the top of the table and with Leek Town breathing down their necks it was a welcome result.

In the 52nd minute the home side got their noses in front when a long-range free kick from James Edgar found its way through a crowd of players before hitting the net.

A minute later James Berry chipped against the crossbar, the home defence failed to clear and Berry followed up to put the Solkmen on level terms.

A minute on, the home side thought they had taken the lead once again, but to Macclesfield’s relief it was ruled out for offside.

It was looking like Dave McNabb’s men would have to settle for a point, but in the 82nd minute Dan Cowan got the final touch to a deep cross to beat Mitchell Allen in the Prescot goal to seal the win.

Witton Albion 5 v 1 Hanley Town

Hanley’s proud away record came to an abrupt end as they crashed to a heavy defeat at the hands of a Witton Albion side who went above them in the table after this result.

To say Hanley were thumped at the U Lock It Stadium is an understatement. It was Connor Hughes who did most of the damage as he helped himself  to four goals with the visitors looking a shadow of the side with the best away record in the league.

Hughes netted the only goal of the first half and within two minutes of the restart he got his second. Within the following four minutes Elliot Rokka added to the score, and Hughes grabbed his hat-trick goal.

An own goal by Mike Koral five minutes from time helped Hanley to pull one back, but two minutes later Hughes was as it again, completing the score in a game Ryan Shotton’s side will want to quickly forget.


Kendal Town 2 v 1 Congleton Town

Following six consecutive wins, Congleton finally came unstuck in the Lake District despite a strong finish, after falling behind early on in the game.

With just three minutes on the clock the home side whipped in a free kick, causing a scramble in the box and Kilifin was on hand to stick the ball in the back of the net.

In the 53rd minute the home side doubled their lead when Shaun Sailor found Steve Yawson inside the box and he made no mistake to make it 2-0.

With time fast running out Dan Roccia did well to deny the visitors but could do little to prevent Darren Chadwick pulling a goal back, but there was still time for the Bears to have a penalty appeal turned down, sending them home empty-handed.

Stafford United 1 v 0 FC United of Manchester

After two consecutive defeats, Stafford got back to winning ways with a narrow victory against FC United of Manchester at Marston Road.

With just one defeat in their last five games on the road, United were always going to pose a threat to a Stafford side still with a great chance of getting back into the play-off places.

One point ahead of Matt Hill’s men at the start of play, Rangers knew they needed to get back to winning ways if they were to mount a challenge and they got the points courtesy of a 36th minute goal from Alex Kowomya.

Visiting ‘keeper Dan Lavercombe did well to save from Ethan Morgan, but the ball fell to Kowomya, who passed the ball into the next and with no further goals it gave Stafford the win.

Nantwich Town v Marske United – Postponed