Current track



Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Non League Match Reports – 03.12.22

Written by on 4 December 2022

Non League Match Reports – 03.12.22

By Dave Johnson

Newcastle 0 v 1 Workington

Despite having much of the play and throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the visitors, Newcastle were beaten at home by a Workington side who leap-frogged Leek Town into second place.

Newcastle’s home record of late has been impressive, but it was who went in front as early as the 3rd minute when Lewis Reilly beat Castle ‘keeper Joe Slinn.

A minute later the visitors had the ball in the net again when Reilly thought he had grabbed his second it two minutes, but the goal was disallowed.

The home side put Workington under real pressure with an equaliser looking to be on the cards, but despite the visitor’s having a man sent off with five minutes to go, the visitors took all three points.

Skelmersdale United 1 v 2 Kidsgrove Athletic

Kidsgrove find themselves just out of the play-off places on goal difference after picking up maximum points at Skelmersdale to make it five wins in six games.

Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi’s opener put Grove in the driving seat, and a fifth consecutive defeat looked well on the cards for the home side.

But Skelmersdale equalised just before half time after being awarded a penalty. Sam Booth saved the spot kick, but Elliot Morris followed up to tuck away the loose ball.

Ten minutes into the second half, following a Kidsgrove corner, Kingsley Adu-Gyamfi played the ball to Ollie Jepson, who smashed the ball home to put his side ahead for the second time, ultimately the goal that won the match.


Hanley Town 1 v 1 Mossley

After three consecutive defeats, and an unwanted seven home games without a single point, Hanley finally chalked up a point when the game against Mossley finished all-square.

And but for a late, late equaliser, Ryan Shotton’s side would have taken all three points against a side who started the match sixth in the table.

After a goalless opening forty-five minutes, it was the home side who struck first when Jake Averyran from inside his own half, beating for men before firing into the roof of the net.

Hanley couldn’t hold out, however, and Mossley’s Mason Fawns earned his side a point when he managed to beat Kieran Harrison three minutes into stoppage time.

Leek Town 0 v 2 Runcorn Linnets

Leek blew the opportunity to edge closer to leaders Macclesfield when they were knocked off second spot after a 2-0 home defeat to in-form Runcorn Linnets.

After seven consecutive victories, Leek were well aware of the danger Linnets posed, coming into the game unbeaten in six games and sitting two places below Leek in the table.

Despite a bright start from the home side, Runcorn went in front after 15 minutes, when a shot from Jamie Rainford was deemed to have crossed the line for his 16th goal of the season.

It was a lack-lustre performance from Neil Baker’s side, and they fell further behind when Lewis Doyle netted the visitor’s second on 62 minutes to inflict Leek’s second defeat of the season


Colne 1 v 1 Macclesfield

After their win at Leek Town last weekend, Colne knew they needed to be at their best if it was to be more of the same against leaders Macclesfield.

The hosts went in front midway through the first half with a rather fortuitous goal when Enock Lusiama’s show beat Wyll Stanway, with help from a deflection.

Colne defied their lowly league position as they kept the visitors out, the lead at half time, but fifteen minutes into the second half that was to change.

On the hour, James Berry’s free kick was deflected onto the crossbar and Ibrahim Bakare was on hand to find the net with the equalising goal to earn the Silkmen a point in their first d raw of the season.

Congleton Town 4 v 3 Lye Town

Congleton came out on top in a thriller of a match which saw the home side through to the next round of the FA Vase as the two teams shared seven goals at the Cleric Stadium.

After winning their last five home games, Richard Duffy’s men needed to show all of their resolve if they were to come back from 3-1 down to win the game.

Pete Williams levelled for the home side on 18 minutes after the visitors had taken an 11th minute lead, but a minute later the Bears fell behind for a second time.

Lye then went further ahead on 28 minutes and threatened to run amok, but on the stroke of half time Tom Pope netted to give Congleton some hope.

George Sankey levelled after 58 minutes, before the visitors’ Josh Hesson was red-carded. Before Ethan Hartshorn struck the decisive blow from outside the box to see Congleton Through.


Stafford Rangers 1 v 2 Atherton Collieries

Stafford’s third defeat in four games must have had boss Andy Hill scratching his head as his side continued to frustrate – still only four points off the play-offs.

Rangers got off to a dream start with barely sixty seconds on the clock when Luis Morrison met a cross from Jack Baxter after a short corner, to head past De Freitas-Hanson in the Atherton goal.

But they didn’t hold on to their lead for too long – on 14 minutes Adam Rooney met Jay Fitzmartin’s free kick with a firm header to put his side level.

And on 56 minutes Atherton got their second when a terrific strike from Scott Bakkor beat Cameron Belford in the Rangers goal.


Warrington Rylands 0 v 1 Nantwich Town

The Dabbers remarkable turn of form continues with a terrific win at Warrington Rylands – a side who had been in a good run of form themselves.

Rylands had won three and drawn one of their last four games, a record equalled by Nantwich ahead of the game, so it promised a lively game at Gorsey Lane.

With very little between the two sides it looked like they would have to settle for a point apiece, but there was drama to come in the late stages of the game.

The Dabbers have show in recent games they are willing to fight until the very end, and so it proved again when, with 90 minutes on the clock, a shot from Curtis Morrison took a nick off Dan Cockerline before nested in the corner of the net to take the points.