Current track



Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

New Year Match Reports- Monday and Tuesday

Written by on 2 January 2023

Match Reports – Dave Johnson

Monday 2nd January 2023

Kidsgrove Athletic 0 v 0 Newcastle Town

With both sides desperate for the three points for contrasting reasons, they were both forced to settle for a point apiece after the game at Hollingwood Grove ended in a stalemate.

When the two sides met at the Lyme Valley Stadium back in August that fixture ended in a similar manner, ending all square at 1-1 – this time the difference was the lack of goals.

Jake Chadwick hit the side-netting for the home side after 32 minutes, but there was very little else to report in the opening forty-five minutes.

Both sides went close on a couple of occasions during the second half, but again with nothing to show and the inevitably finished goalless.

Hanley Town 2 v 1 Colne

Visitors Colne came from behind after Hanley were reduced to ten man a minute into the second half and looked like they were about to take maximum points, but they were thwarted by a late equalizer from the home side.

Hanley took a deserved lead on 27 minutes with classy opener from Jacob Twyford, who dummied one defender, took on another before calmly stroking home.

Hanley skipper Joel Stair was sent off after picking up a second yellow, and goals from Enock Lusiama in the 72nd minutes and one from Owen Watkinson six minutes from time looked like it would be enough to earn Colne the win.

The home side, who had only picked up a single point on home soil going into the game had other ideas and Charlie Walford recues a point with a late, late goal.

Leek Town 2 v 1 1874 Northwich

Leek took their run of form into the New Year with another three points at Harrison Park as they saw off the challenge of Northwich in their opening fixture of 2023.

Tim Grice put the home side in front on the half hour and they didn’t have too much trouble keeping their noses in front going into the break.

However, Mackenzie O’Neill levelled for the visitors in the 58th minute to give Northwich some hope, only for Tom Carr to reply in the 63rd minute to make it 2-1 to Leek.

Next up is a top of the table clash against leaders Macclesfield at the Moss Rose this coming weekend – a game in which could really do with getting a positive result.

Widnes 0 v 4 Macclesfield

After a goalless opening forty-five minutes, Macclesfield finally broke the deadlock eight minutes into the second half when James Berry struck with his 19th goal of the season.

After riding the challenge of two home defenders, Berry managed to roll the ball past ‘keeper Cameron Terry and into the far corner of the net to put the visitors in front.

It was the catalyst for an onslaught  from the Silkmen, and within a further 13 minutes they had added another two goals, Berry grabbing goal number 20 for the season and Alex Currant claiming their third.

In the 90th minute of the game Berry was at it again, finding the net to claim his hat-trick, consolidating their place at the top of the table.

Belper Town 2 v 1 Stafford Rangers

Following a terrific 3-0 Boxing Day victory over Nantwich Town, Stafford reverted to type somewhat, falling to defeat at Belper’s Christchurch Meadow stadium.

It allowed the home side to complete the double over Rangers, having won at Marston Road by the same score back in August.

All three goals came within a six minute window, after the home side had gone in front when Brodie Litchfield beat Rangers ‘keeper Cameron Belford in the 12th minute.

Callum Saunders restored parity just three minutes later at the back post following a long throw, but three minutes later Paulo Aguas put the home side back in front.

The Nailers were reduced to ten men in the 54th minute when Ben Middleton was red-carded, leaving the home side a man short for the remainder of the game, but Rangers were unable to capitalize.

Nantwich Town 1 v 1 Warrington Town

Nantwich were forced to settle for a point when their home fixture against Warrington Town ended all square after the visitors came from behind to earn a point.

The Dabbers got off to the perfect start against Warrington Town with supporters still taking their place in the seats when Myiwa Malumo turned sharply to fire the ball across visitors’ ‘keeper Tony Thompson with barely twenty seconds on the clock.

The lead didn’t last, however, and the visitors were back on level terms in the 38th minute Andy White smashed the ball into the top corner of the net.

With no further goals in the second half, The Dabbers now need to get back to winning games and will be looking ahead to their game at Guisley on Saturday afternoon.

Congleton Town 3 v 0 Stockport Town (Cheshire Senior Cup)

Congleton booked their place in the third round of the Cheshire Senior Cup with a 3-0 over First Division South leaders Stockport Town, with striker Tom Pope grabbing himself a brace.

It was the Bears’ fifth win on the bounce and their eleventh in a row at their Cleric Stadium home, where they are looking almost unbeatable.

Pope opened the scoring in the 18th minute when he got up well to meet a corner kick taken by Pete Williams, sending his header beyond the reach of Stockport ‘keeper Josh Schofield.

When Marco Fregapane was taken down inside the box in the 40th minute up stepped Darren Chadwick, who made no mistake from the spot, driving the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

Any doubts that the Bears would go on to win the game were firmly put to bed in the 69th minute when Schofield rushed out from his line to clear, missed the ball and Pope had the relatively simple task of slotting home the loose ball.