Current track



Current show

The BIG Breakfast Show

7:00 am 11:00 am

Current show

The BIG Breakfast Show

7:00 am 11:00 am

Local Non League Match Reports – 04.02.23

Written by on 5 February 2023

Local Non League Match Reports – 04.02.23

By Dave Johnson


A five-goal thriller at the Lyme Valley Stadium saw Newcastle come out on top to earn three valuable points to record only their third home win of the season.

Will Lloyd put the home side ahead midway through the first half and five minutes into the second half Nathan Morley added a second to give his side breathing space.

The visitors fought back, however, when Kyle Sambor netted on 55 minutes and eight minutes later John Murphy levelled the scores.

But with ten minutes to go the referee awarded the home side a penalty and Jack van der Laan obliged from the spot to give Newcastle a much-needed win.

Next up, 1874 Northwich away on Tuesday.




It was a disappointing result for Kidsgrove against Witton Albion at the U Lock It Stadium despite taking the lead when Ollie Jepson opened the scoring on 19 minutes.

Two goals in the space of five minutes just before half time from Connor Hughes (40 mins) and Will Igoe (45 mins) saw the home side go into the break in front.

There was more bad news for the visitors when Harry McGee opened up a two-goal cushion for Witton, leaving Grove with a lot to do.

Kieran Knapper managed to pull a goal back in the 90th minute, but it was nothing more than a consolation goal. Kidsgrove now face Leek Town at home on Tuesday evening.



Once again Hanley had to settle for a single point, the sixth time their match had finished all-square in eight games, and their fifth consecutive home draw.

That they showed enough character to come from behind will give them some kind of satisfaction, but at the same time they will be disappointed to be still in search of a home victory.

Things weren’t looking too good for the home side when Clitheroe’s Sefton Gonzales hit the opener in the 39th minute to give the visitors the advantage going into the break.

Hanley had it all to do, but 17 minutes into the second half  they were level when Jayden Cotterill hit the equalizer. Hanley are at home to Glossop North End on Tuesday.


Leek were dealt a cruel blow against third placed Workington at Harrison Park just as it looked like the two sides were about to share the points.

The visitors, three points behind their hosts going into the game, knew that win would put them level in the table – a defeat would open up a six-points gap behind Leek.

In a nail-biting affair, despite chances at both ends, neither side was able to break the deadlock – until right at the death.

Workington’s Scott Allison hit the deciding goal, waiting until the 90th minute to do so, leaving the home side no time to recover. Leek face Kidsgrove Athletic away on Tuesday.



With the two sides directly below them in the table playing against each other, this was a game which, depending on that result, could see Macclesfield open up an eight-point gap at the top of the table.

It took a mere seven minute for James Berry to nab his 26th goal of the season, poking home from close range after Neil Kengni’s cross.

The Silkmen’s second, in the 76h minute, was a little fortuitous. Neil Danns’ bicycle kick was blocked, but James Hardy drove the ball hard and low and the ball ended in the Bootle net and Lewis Fensome got the last touch.

Tom Peterson managed to pull a goal back for the home side in the 85th minute, but it was too late to affect the result. Next up for Maccclesfield, Witton Albion at home on Tuesday.



Still looking for their first home win in the league since Boxing Day, Congleton again had to settle for  point, despite taking an early lead at the Cleric Stadium.

It was player-boss Richard Duffy who did the damage when he found the net with a back post header following a free kick floated in by Pete Williams.

Leading at half time, The Bears looked like they could be back on track, but unfortunately Irlam got back on terms in the 63rd minute.

It was Jess Ebosele who levelled the scores 28 minutes into the second half, leaving Congleton looking to resurrect their home form, after a defeat and three draws since the turn of the New Year.


There was more disappointment for Matty Hill’s side when they failed to follow up their win against Marske United last weekend, falling to defeat at Cantilever Park.

The result keeps Warrington’s hope of promotion this season alive, but if Rangers don’t start to pull a few points out of the bag they could end up in trouble.

Level at the interval, Rangers were still in with a chance of pulling off a shock result, but things started to look a little different when Stefon Mols put the home side ahead on 58 minutes.

Tom Hannigan doubled Warrington’s lead in the 70th minute and although they were reduced to ten men when James Harris was given his marching order eight minutes from time, by then they had the points in the bag.


Ritchie Sutton’s Nantwich side came from behind to take all three points at home to Atherton Collieries to help lift the pressure a little in the league table.

The win sees the Dabbers move up to 16th as they recorded their first home victory in five home fixtures, though things were looking worrying when they fell behind early in the game.

Scott Bakkor put the visitors in front with just six minutes on the clock – a worrying sight for the home supporters, but six minutes before half time Daniel Cockerline managed to bundle home the equalizer.

It was game on as far as the Dabbers were concerned, and nine minutes from time Troy Bourne headed home the decisive goal to seal the three points for the home side.

Next up, Matlock Town at home on Tuesday night.