Current track



Current show

The BIG Breakfast Show

7:00 am 11:00 am

Current show

The BIG Breakfast Show

7:00 am 11:00 am

07.02.23 – Non-League Match Reports

Written by on 9 February 2023

07.02.23 – Non-League Match Reports

By Dave Johnson

1874 Northwich 2 v 0 Newcastle Town

Castle conceded two goals by the midway point in the opening forty-five minutes, leaving them with a mountain to climb.

Following a run from the halfway line from Harry Bowyer, Fenton Green was able to tap in from six yards with only 13 minutes of the game played.

The home side then doubled their advantage when Joe Woolley finished coolly with his left foot, putting Northwich well in command.

With no further goals in the game the home side took maximum points, leaving Castle to think about their next two games – Fourth-placed Runcorn Linnets away and Macclesfield at home on Tuesday night.

Kidsgrove Athletic 0 v 1 Leek Town

Kidsgrove were to be disappointed at Hollingwood Grove after it was looking like they would hold out for at least a point against promotion-seeking Leek Town.

An 86th minute goal from Lucas Baker put paid to that, leaving Grove as the only side in the top half of the table to lose their Tuesday night fixture.

From a Leek perspective, the three points earned were even sweeter for the fact leaders  Macclesfield failed to win their game, being held at home by Witton Albion.

Should Leek win away to Prescot Cables this weekend they could edge that little bit closer to the Silkmen, who don’t play until the following Tuesday when they visit Newcastle Town.

Hanley Town 1 v 0 Glossop North End

Perhaps one word – eureka – would describe the feeling amongst home players, staff and supporters as Hanley finally got that first home win they had craved since the start of the season.

Hanley started the game on the front foot and created several chances without making the breakthrough, but things were to change in the 28th minute.

The Hillmen conceded a penalty, and up stepped Sam Turner to hit the spot kick beyond the reach of Glossop ‘keeper Craig Ellison, giving Hanley the lead.

The score stayed the same, meaning the Potteries Park hoodoo has finally been broken, Hanley completing a very welcome double over Glossop.

Macclesfield 1 v 1 Witton Albion

Macclesfield’s automatic promotion hopes took a slight knock when they were held at home, despite going into the interval with a narrow lead.

After an intense opening period, the Silkmen finally got their noses in front when Ntumba Massanka rose to meet Neil Kengni’s corner kick to plant a header past Ollie Martin in the Witton goal.

All was looking fine and dandy as the two sides went in at half time, but the visitors refused to roll over and in the 76th minute they drew level.

The goal came from the penalty spot, slotted home by Joe Duckworth. Macclesfield’s woes were added to just six minutes later when James Hardy was red-carded.

Nantwich Town 0 v 1 Matlock Town

Nantwich failed to extend their mini unbeaten run of two games as they slipped up at home to play-off contenders Matlock Town.

It was always a tough ask against a side riding high in the table, though Matlock had been beaten in three of their last four fixtures away from home.

Level at the break, there was every reason for Nantwich to believe they could get something from the game to help steer them away from trouble.

But midway through the second half they were hit with a goal from the visitors when Jerome Slew scored the only goal of the game, leaving the Dabbers perched just above the bottom four