Current track



Current show

The Mighty Jukebox

12:00 am 7:00 am

Current show

The Mighty Jukebox

12:00 am 7:00 am

Local Non League Match Reports – 18.02.23

Written by on 19 February 2023

Local Non League Match Reports – 18.02.23

By Dave Johnson

Bootle 1 v 2 Newcastle Town

Newcastle recorded a very welcome win to ease the pressure they faced at the wrong end of the table, with a relegation battle staring them in the face.

The win moved Castle to within a point of Bootle with a game in hand, but they are still only two places above the bottom four.

It was a game the visitors knew they needed to win, and they managed to get their noses in front when James Askey found the net in the 28th minute.

With half time fast approaching Ryan Baxter gave Castle some breathing space when he added a second goal, but Connor Millington pulled a goal back in the 78th minute to ensure a nervy final twelve minutes.

Kidsgrove Athletic 2 v 0 City of Liverpool

A two-nil win over City of Liverpool at Hollingwood Grove saw a collective sigh of relief form the home supporters as Kidsgrove gave themselves some breathing space, moving up to eighth in the table.

Scott Dundas’ men were below their visitor on goal difference going into the game and knew nothing but a positive result would do.

They had to wait until the 40th minute to take the lead. Kieran Knapper found team mate Jimmy Garlick inside the box, and he did the rest, smashing past visiting ‘keeper Ben Barnes.

The home side needed a second goal to make sure of things and they got it late in the game, two minutes from time when Josh Thorpe made sure of the three points.

Hanley Town 0 v 0 Leek Town

Leek’s title chances were dealt a severe blow after they dropped two points in a local derby after drawing a blank at the Potteries Park.

They were the clear favourites going into the game against a side who hadn’t managed a home win all season until a week and a half prior to the game.

But the home side went into the game on a run of six consecutive home fixtures unbeaten and confident they could get something from the game.

Hanley have clearly been working on the defensive side of their game in recent weeks and it certainly paid off in this one, with their third clean sheet in five games.

Macclesfield 2 v 0 Glossop North End

With rivals Leek only managing a draw away at Hanley, Macclesfield moved a step closer to the title with a home win over struggling Glossop North End.

The visitors knew they would have to keep it tight at the back if they were to come away with anything, but they lasted all of 17 minutes before falling behind.

Ntumba Massanka met a low cross from Neil Kengni but was denied when his back-heeled effort struck the upright, but Dylan Fage followed up to slot home the opener.

Five minutes into the second half the Silkmen effectively ensured the three points when Madsanka tapped in from close range, with the defeat seeing North End drop into the bottom four.

Congleton Town 1 v 0 Northwich Victoria (MACRON CUP)

Congleton made sure of a place in the semi-final of the Macron Cup with a narrow win over Northwich Victoria in a fiercely contested tie at the Cleric Stadium.

Both sides had opportunities to nudge their way in front during the opening forty-five minutes but neither of them were able to tuck those chances away.

The visitors put the Bears under pressure in the second half and must have thought they had won it when they had the ball in the net with nine minutes remaining, but the ‘goal’ was ruled out.

Barely sixty seconds later they were punished when Needham’s run down the left hand side ended with the ball at the feet of Ethan Hartshorn and he fired home the only goal of the game.

Stafford Rangers 2 v 1 Lancaster City

The Marston Road faithful watched on as Stafford picked up three very welcome points to help alleviate the pressure on the club following recent unfavourable results.

After picking up four points from their last two home games Rangers were keen to add to their total and they got the break they needed in the 26th minute.

It was Keiman Anderson who broke the deadlock, and twelve minutes later they extended their lead after being awarded a penalty, which was duly dispatched by Tom Tonks.

Rangers weren’t to have it all their own way though. Sam Bailey also netted from the spot to pull one back for the visitors on 41 minutes, but the scoreline remained the same to give Stafford all three points.