Current track



Current show

The Mighty Jukebox

12:00 am 7:00 am

Current show

The Mighty Jukebox

12:00 am 7:00 am

Non-League Midweek Football – 21.02.23

Written by on 22 February 2023

Non-League Midweek Match Reports 

by Dave Johnson

Tuesday 21st February

Witton Albion 3-1 Newcastle Town

Newcastle returned empty-handed from Witton Albion despite going in front after just 15 minutes of the game when Ryan Baxter opened the scoring.

Well placed in the table, the home side showed their credentials, coming from behind with two goals within the space of three minutes midway through the first half.

Elliot Rokka levelled the scores just five minutes after Castle’s opener and then three minutes later Kingsley Williams put his side in front.

A second half goal scored by former Hanley Town striker James Lawrie was the final nail in the coffin for Newcastle, who now look anxiously over their shoulder as they sit too close for comfort to the relegation zone.

1874 Northwich 2-2 Kidsgrove Athletic

Kidsgrove came away from Northwich with a creditable draw against a side level on points with them in the table, leaving them still with an outside chance of a play-off place.

Grove went behind after 15 minutes when ‘keeper Ryan Brown was beaten by Mat Fenton and it was the home side who still had the advantage going in at half time.

Two goals in a ten-minute spell gave the visitors the edge. Callum Leigh netted the equalizer in the 56th minute and then Jimmy Garlick followed that up with Grove’s second.

They couldn’t manage to hold on the their lead for long, however, because four minutes later Jack Irlam levelled the scores and Grove were forced to settle for a draw.

Prestwich Heys 3-2 Congleton Town

After their recent cup exploits, Congleton were brought right back down to earth with a bump with a defeat away to Prestwich Heys.

The home side were soon in action, taking a fourth minute lead through Max Bardsley-Rowe and there was soon to be more bad news for The Bears.

With just twelve minutes on the clock the home side doubled their advantage when Matt Davies found the net, but in the 20th minute Dan Needham gave Congleton hope when he reduced the arrears.

Seven minutes into the second half the home side got a third goal, but player-boss Richard Duffy gave his side some hope eight minutes from time with a glancing header, but it wasn’t quite enough to save the Bears from defeat.


Nantwich 1-2 Marske United

Any doubts that Nantwich were not deep in a relegation fight were well and truly dispelled with a more than disappointing defeat to one of their closest rivals.

The table doesn’t read too well from a Dabbers’ point of view, they are fourth from bottom and the two sides directly above them can leap-frog them should they win their games in hand.

With 26 minutes of the game played, it was Marske who took the lead when Jacob Day nodded home at the back post, and on 37 minutes Don Chimallo added to the home side’s woes.

Steve Hewitt gave Nantwich some hope when Steve Hewitt scored his first goal in a Nantwich shirt, but in the remaining six minutes and a further six minutes of stoppage time, the score remained