Current track



Current show


11:00 am 2:00 pm

Current show


11:00 am 2:00 pm

Non League Reports – 18.03.23 and 21.03.23

Written by on 19 March 2023

Non League Results and Match Reports -18.03.23

By Dave Johnson

Colne 1 v 2 Newcastle Town

They left it late, very late, but Newcastle earned themselves what could turn out to be three extremely important points in their bid to remain out of the drop zone.

Just after midway through the first half Castle found themselves a goal down when Alfie Roberts in the visitors’ goal was beaten by Owen Watkinson, leaving Robin van der Laan’s side with everything to do.

The score remained the same with the final whistle soon to blow, but in stoppage time Castle were handed a lifeline when Joe Thompson levelled the score, seemingly to rescue a point.

That wasn’t the end of the scoring, however, and unbelievably Castle got another goal to win the match, though there seems some confusion as to who got the final touch to beat home ‘keeper Hakan Burton,

Kidsgrove Athletic 2 v 1 Ramsbottom United

Kidsgrove left it late as they came from behind to take all three points against the league basement outfit Ramsbottom United at Hollingwood Grove.

Neither side were looking too threatening, though perhaps the home side were having slightly the better of play, but with half time fast approaching it was the visitors who took the lead through Wealth Dasilva.

Things were looking grim for the home side, but with fourteen minutes remaining when a free kick was headed back into the Ramsbottom box and Aaron Bott was on hand to head home the equaliser.

There was still time for a winner, and thankfully it went Grove’s way in the 90th minute when an alert Bott slotted home his and Kidgrove’s second to see the hosts take the points.

Hanley Town 2 v 0 Bootle

Hanley dragged themselves out of the bottom four with a terrific home win against a Bootle side who, coming into the game, had only been beaten twice in their last nine away fixtures.

Hanley themselves were unbeaten in eight home games, but with only one win in that run of fixtures and sitting next to bottom in the table they clearly needed to do more in order to save their season.

They got the breakthrough in the 25th minute when Kieran Brown managed to head the ball down and Louis Dodds did the rest with a superb volley to beat Curtis Anderson in the Bootle goal.

With their tails up, Hanley came out for the second half with plenty of self-belief and within six minutes of the restart they doubled their advantage when Jake Twyford danced his way through the visiting defence before slotting home.

Macclesfield 3 v 2 Runcorn Linnets

With three more points in the bag and one step closer to the title, is there any stopping the steamroller that is Macclesfield, who are now thirteen points clear at the top of the table.

The Silkmen went in front ten minutes before half time when Dan Sweeney sent a powerful header beyond Linnets’ ‘keeper Danny Taberner into the far bottom corner.

Ryan Brooke levelled in the 64th minute but five minutes later Alex Curran restored the home side’s advantage, but there was still plenty of drama to come.

The visitors thought they had earned themselves a precious point when Lewis Doyle put his side on level terms with three minutes remaining, but three minutes into added time the Silkmen were awarded a spot kick, which Curran duly tucked away.

Padiham 1 v 1 Congleton Town

In their second of three games within the space of six days, Congleton were looking to record a seventh win on the bounce when they turned up at the Ruby Civil Arena.

They were soon on the back foot, however, and with seven minutes of kick off they found themselves with a lot to do as Kieran Sherlock put Padiham in front.

Seven minutes into the second half, it was Congleton’s turn to make their mark on the game and they levelled thanks to a flying header from Aaron Johns.

There was still plenty of time left for either side to grab a winner and it was the Bears who went closest when Tom Pope rifled a shot against the upright. In the end the visitors had to settle for a point.

Liversedge 3 v 3 Stafford Rangers

Stafford went in front three times at the Clayburn stadium but were forced to settle for a single point when Liversedge came back at them three times with goals of their own.

Nathan Blissett was the first to find the net when he headed Rangers ahead midway through the first half, but on the stroke of half time Nicholas Walker restored parity for the home side.

Two minutes into the second half Callum Saunders nodded Rangers back in front, only for Walker to strike again for the home side just three minutes later.

Tom Tonks got his third assist of the game when his long throw was headed into the Liversedge net by Blissett, but on 81 minutes Tonks was sent off for a second yellow card.

Sadly that wasn’t the only thing for Rangers to worry about, and the home side were awarded a spot kick in stoppage time, which was converted by Ben Atkinson for a share of the points.

Gainsborough Trinity 0 v 1 Nantwich Town

It looks like the gloves are off as Nantwich fight to avoid the drop, with just six games left to save their season. Teams below them still have games in hand, but if this result is anything to go by, anything can happen.

The home side were eying up a play-off place at the start of play. With Warrington Town having no fixture they knew that a win against Nantwich would see them end the day in fifth place, or possibly fourth if things went their way elsewhere.

As the first half was played out it was clear the Dabbers were prepared to roll up their collective sleeves and were prepared for a battle in order to take something from the game.

With a quarter of an hour remaining and the scores still at 0-0, they would no doubt have been more than happy with a point, but in the 75th minute, Byron Harrison’s effort was cleared off the line, and Steve Hewitt was first to the rebound, firing home what turned out to be the winning goal.

Midweek Match – 21.03.23

Widnes 0 v 2 Leek Town

A goal in each half saw Leek Town take the three points at Widnes – a result which no doubt will give Hanley Town an amount of satisfaction as it keeps them out of the bottom four.

The win moves Leek that little bit closer to leaders Macclesfield, though it may well be too late to prevent the Silkmen from finishing top with just seven games remaining.

Ollie Harrison put paid to any Widnes resistance in the opening thirty-six minutes of the game when, after threatening on a few occasions, he finally fired home a free kick to put Leek ahead.

The home side pressed for an equalizer in the second half to no avail and Leek finally tied up the game and the points with a second goal in the 74th minute when Dan Trickett-Smith poked the ball home following a corner kick.