Current track



Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Non-League Match Results – 15.04.23

Written by on 15 April 2023

Non-League Match Results – 15.04.23

By Dave Johnson

Newcastle Town 1-0 Trafford

Crack open the bubbly. Despite a 90th minute equalizer for Widnes at Kidsgrove, this win for Newcastle means they cannot now be caught.

A week ago they were in the bottom four, but a terrific away win against Leek Town and this win against Trafford means Paul Moore’s side will be playing at this level next season.

Defender Kyle Stubbs scored the only goal of the game midway through the first half and that was enough for the home side to take all three points.

It means Castle can go into their final game of the season at bottom of the table Ramsbottom Unite with a weight lifted off their  shoulders  and new boss Paul Moore can now plan to bring players suited to this level.

Kidsgrove Athletic 1-1 Widnes

Wanted to go out with a bang this season in their final two games, Kidsgrove will be disappointed in conceding a 90th minute equaliser at home to Widnes.

Despite Grove not actually winning the game, it went a long way to helping both Newcastle Town and Hanley Town retain their place in the league.

Callum Lovatt opened the scoring as early as the 6th minute to put the Grove well in command and despite visitors fighting to save themselves from the drop, they held the lead until late in the game.

|In the 90th minute Sharif Deans put the visitors on level terms, but it was not enough to save their season, much to the relief on Both Newcastle Town and Hanley Town.

Hanley Town 0-0 Witton Albion

For the second time in two home games Hanley were held to a 0-0 draw but the significance of the point earned against Witton Albion is cause for celebrations at the Potteries Park.

Widnes inability to get more than a single point at Kidsgrove means they can pull level with Hanley should they beat 1874 Northwich next weekend and Hanley lose at Prescot Cables.

But it would take a swing in the goal difference of epic proportions to cause Hanley any problems as they are twenty goals better off than the Whites.

Hanley supporters will be cracking open a can tonight, regardless. They know the job is done and their team are assured of playing their football at this level next season.

Colne 0-1 Leek Town

After being in second spot for most of the season, Leek dropped to third on Easter Monday thanks to a home defeat to Newcastle Town.

But Leek were determined to do everything they could to retain second spot with two league games remaining, and they did just that with this narrow victory at Colne.

They were helped when 1874 Northwich beat Wokington in a seven-goal thriller at the Townfield ground, but Leek needed to do their bit as well of course.

They won the game thanks to a 7th minute goal from Ollie Harrison, who reacted to a nod-on from a team-mate to head past home ‘keeper Hakan Burton.

Macclesfield 2-2 Prescot Cables

It will seem very much like Champions Macclesfield have taken their foot off the gas after dropping points for the second game in succession.

Twice they had to come from behind as the visitors defied their league position to pose a task for the Silkmen, who could be excused for thinking of next season as this one comes to an end.

The crowd of 4,701 were stunned when Francis Smith put the visitors ahead in the 28th minute, but within three minutes James Berry equalized.

Fifteen minutes into the second half the visitors were at it again when Jack Goodwin put them back in front, but Berry hit his second from the spot in the 82nd minute to earn the Silkmen a point.

Congleton Town 2-2 Wythenshawe Town

Congleton let a 2-0 lead slip against high-riding Wythenshawe and in the end had to settle for a point, but after four consecutive league defeats, a point is better than nothing.

That won’t go down to well at the Cleric Stadium, however, as they rest their legs on Sunday, ready for a Cheshire Senior Cup semi-final on Monday

The Bears got off to a great start when Arron Johns headed them in front with barely two minutes on the clock and four minutes into the second half it looked like the points were in the bag when Will Buckley added a second with a super strike from the edge of the box.

The visitors pulled a goal back in the 64th minute, then a stoppage time equalizer from Darius Palma saw the visitors snatch a point.

FC United of Manchester 0-1 Stafford Rangers

Safe from any relegation fears following the point earned against Nantwich Town last weekend, there was no pressure on Matty Hill’s men to get a result at FC United of Manchester.

The home side still stood an outside chance of achieving a play-off spot going into the game, but Rangers put paid to that with this victory.

There were no goals in the opening forty-five minutes, but midway through the second half it was Stafford who broke the deadlock.

Kaiman Anderson grabbed his 12th goal of the season with Rangers’ first shot on target, when he lobbed goalkeeper Dan Lavercombe for the only goal of the game.

Marske United v Nantwich Town

Postponed due to waterlogged pitch. Rescheduled for Thursday.