Current track



Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Local Non League Match Reports – 19.11.22

Written by on 21 November 2022

Local Non League Match Reports – By Dave Johnson

Newcastle Town 0 – 1 Ramsbottom United

Another disappointing afternoon at the Lyme Valley Stadium as Newcastle Town once again dropped points at home when they were beaten by Ramsbottom United.

For the umpteenth time this season, Castle have been more than generous when playing at home, dropping points in seven of their nine home fixtures, and this one was their second home defeat in five days.

Anthony Donaldson put the visitors ahead just before half time and any hopes of a Newcastle recovery were put to bed seven minutes into the second half.

The Rams’ second goal was netted by Henri Ogunby on 52 minutes and the home side had no answer. They now travel to face Trafford on Saturday afternoon.

Kidsgrove Athletic 2 – 1 Clitheroe

Kidsgrove managed to record a great win against a Clitheroe side who were withing a whisker of earning a point at Leek Town in their last game.

Going into this game, the visitors had a decent record and promised to pose a tough test for the Grove – but they were forced to go home empty-handed.

The home side were given the perfect opportunity to get their noses in front midway through the first half when the referee awarded a penalty kick, and Lewis Bergin made no mistake from the spot.

Right on half time Josh Thorpe opened up a gap with the Grove’s second, and although Cameron Lancaster pulled one back for the visitors in the 53rd minute, it was Kidsgrove who took all three points.

Hanley Town 0 – 1 Prescot Cables

It is becoming quite monotonous now as Hanley once again failed to pick up a single point at their home ground, Potteries Park and manager Ryan Shotton must be tearing his hair out.

Why the side with the best away record in the league cannot pick up a single point on home soil in seven attempts is a complete mystery – maybe the ground is cursed?

Hanley still had some hope going into the final twenty minutes of the game with neither side having managed to break the deadlock.

Then disaster struck – that is from a Hanley point of view – when John Murphy popped up to score the all-decisive goal, leaving the home side to rue their luck.

Chorley 1 – 0  Leek Town (FA Trophy)

Leek finally bowed out of the FA Trophy with a narrow defeat away to Chorley, and, apologies for using a cliché, they can now concentrate on the league.

The league was probably their priority anyway, but let’s not kid ourselves, a run in this competition would have been more than welcome.

The only goal of the game came right on the stroke of half time, and unfortunately for Neil Baker’s side, it was the home side who got it, courtesy of Jack Sampson’s fifth goal of the season.

Out of the competition maybe, but Leek’s reputation is still intact after a terrific performance from the visitors – they certainly deserved something from  the game.

Macclesfield 4 – 3 Mossley

If it’s drama you are looking for, you could do worse than take a trip to the Stadium to catch a Macclesfield match – there were bags of it on offer in this one.

Mark Duffy put the Silkmen in front after 18 minutes, before Jack Grundt replied just six minutes later and at the interval the two sides were level.

At that stage, nobody could have possibly predicted what was to come, not even when Jordan Butterworth put the visitors in front in the 58th minute.

Four minutes from time, Tom Clare levelled the scores, then two minutes later Jack Bannister restored the advantage for Mossley and it looked like the Lilywhites were going to take home all three points.

A full six minutes into stoppage time Clare got his second, to square things up once again, and it still wasn’t over. In the 98th minute Neil Kengni netted to earn the home side all three points, restoring their four-point lead at the top of the table.

Brocton 1 – 2 Congleton Town (The Macron Cup 2nd Round)

Congleton Town made it six straight wins to make progress in the Macron Cup with a 2-1 victory against a hard-working Brocton outfit at Silkmore Lane.

A right-wing corner from Pete Williams was met by Darren Clarke, rising above the home defence to head past Brocton ‘keeper Jonty Kearns, in for the injured Tony Allsop.

On the hour the home side were on level terms when Connor Haddaway was brought down in the box. Haddaway took the resulting spot kick, sending Craig Ellison the wrong way.

Within a minute Congleton were back in front. The former Port Vale duo Tom Pope and Richard Duffy were involved, the former laying the ball off for the latter to fire into the bottom corner of the net.

The Bears have been drawn at home to Lower Breck in the third round of the Macron Cup – the match is scheduled to be played on Saturday 10th December

South Shields 2 – 0 Stafford Rangers

With one win in seven games on their travels, Stafford must be kicking themselves looking at the league table – they are still just three points off the play-off places.

It is a case of what could have been, though to be fair, that gap could well be bridged in their next fixture, when they are back at their Marston Road ground.

Still level with an hour played, the home side went in front in the 62nd minute when Martin Smith got the better of Rangers ‘keeper Cameron Belfield.

Any homes of a comeback for the visitors were put to bed in the 80th minute when Darius Osei grabbed a second for South Shields to sew up the points.

Radcliffe 1 – 2 Nantwich Town

Come the end of October, Nantwich couldn’t buy a win, and now, just three weeks later, the have gone five games unbeaten and have started to look like they are going to continue to climb the table.

A Cheshire Cup win against Cheadle Heath Nomads kick-started their season and since then, the only points they have dropped was in a 1-1 draw against the new league leaders Gainsborough Trinity.

Radcliffe, who had lost only once on home soil before this one, went into the game on a six-game unbeaten run, but that didn’t seem to bother the Dabbers at all.

Byron Harrison fired them ahead from the penalty spot three minutes before half time and though Luca Navarro levelled, also from the spot in the 73rd minute, for the second time in five days Nantwich hit a late, late goal, this time Troy Bourne’s strike helping to earn three more valuable points.