Current track



Current show

The Love Connection

9:00 pm 12:00 am

Current show

The Love Connection

9:00 pm 12:00 am

Local Non League Football Results – 14.01.23

Written by on 15 January 2023

Local Non League Football Results and match summaries – 14.01.23

By Dave Johnson

Widnes 1-3 Newcastle Town

Newcastle finally got back to winning ways as they recorded their first victory since Bonfire Night, picking up maximum points away to basement outfit Widnes, despite going down to ten men.

Castle got off to a great start when Nathan Morley netted in the ninth minute, the first time either side had seriously threatened in front of goal.

In the 27th minute the visitors had appeals for what appeared to be a stonewall penalty dismissed and eight minutes later the home side were down to ten men when Jordan Simpson was red-carded.

Shortly afterwards Newcastle’s Callum Lovatt was also sent to the dressing room for his part in the altercation that led to Simpson’s dismissal.

Will Jones levelled the scores on the hour, but eight minutes later Morley grabbed his second goal to restore Newcastle’s lead, and Callum Parker made sure of the three points in the 88th minute.

Kidsgrove Athletic 0-3 Macclesfield

Macclefield secured another all-important three points with a 3-0 victory at Hollingwood Grove to cement their position at the top of the table.

With 38 goals between them going into the game, Nicky Maynard and James Berry were both on the score sheet, Maynard opening the scoring when he rolled the ball home in the 11th minute.

Then in the 23rd minute Maynard added his and Macclesfield’s second – his 16th of the season – bundling home after intercepting Grove ‘keeper Sam Booth’s attempted clearance.

It had to come eventually, the almost obligatory goal for hot-shot Berry, with the home side down to ten men after Ollie Jepson was shown a second yellow card, The Silkmen’s top scorer hit his 25th of the season from close range in the closing stages.

Hanley Town 2-2 Runcorn Linnets

Hanley threw away an opportunity to finally record their first home win of the season after surrendering a two-goal lead, instead being forced to settle for a point.

Hanley took the lead in the 8th minute when Theo Stair controlled the ball in the box before crashing a volley into the Linnets net.

All was looking good for the home side when they increased their lead early in the second half, Eden Bailey on the mark, rounding Linnets’ ‘keeper Danny Taberner before finding the net.

But the visitors hit back four when a Kieran Brown own goal gave them a lifeline and the comeback was completed in the 71st minute when Ryan Brooke beat Hanley ‘keeper Kieran Harrison.

Leek Town 3-1 Glossop North End

Leek put their defeat to Macclesfield last weekend firmly behind them when they got back to winning ways with the 3-1 defeat of Glossop North End at Harrison Park.

Despite the win, boss Neil Baker won’t be happy that they didn’t achieve a clean sheet after the visitors grabbed a consolation goal right at the death.

A tenth minute opener from Tom Carr put the home side in the driving seat, but they had to wait until the second half before netting the second, to give themselves some breathing space.

Tim Grice increased Leek’s lead in the 56th minute, then Man of the Match Carr completed a brace to finish off any chance the visitors had of getting themselves back in the game.

Congleton Town 4 v 0 Pinchbeck United

Congleton are in the hat for the Fifth-Round draw of the FA Vase after dispatching Pinchbeck United with a 4-0 win at the Cleric Stadium.

There was little between the two sides up until the 41st minute, when the Bears took control of the game when Shakeel Jones-Griffith met Tom Pope’s cross to fire home from the edge of the box.

When George Sankey fired home the second in the 52nd minute the result was never in doubt, but if there was any doubt, that was dismissed when Ryan Read fired home on the hour.

Just to make matters worse for the visitors, three minutes later skipper Tom Pope hit Congleton’s fourth, ensuring his side’s place in the draw for the next round.

Stafford Rangers 0-2 Matlock Town

After throwing away a three-goal lead in their game against Gainsborough Trinity last weekend, things couldn’t get any worse – or could they

Such has been Ranger’s recent form they will have been happy to grab anything they could get, yet things went bad right from the off in this game.

Less than fifteen seconds after the kick off, Rangers went behind when Karl Demidh was allowed to run through before burying the opener into the top corner to leave Rangers shell-shocked.

Things went from bad to worse when John Johnston inflicted further pain for the home side when he hit Matlock’s second with just eight minutes on the clock.

Thankfully for Matty Hill’s side, there were no further goals, but this defeat will take some getting over. Next up is a trip to second-placed Hyde United.

Belper Town 1-3 Nantwich Town

After picking up a single point in their last three games Nantwich got back to winning ways, bringing home all three points from bottom-of-the-table Belper Town.

They had to come from behind to do so, however, after the home side took the lead with 21 minutes on the clock when James Tague pounced on a loose ball to beat Tom Booth.

Within four minutes the Dabbers were back on level terms when Byron Harrison latched on to a ball over the top before rounding Tom Jackson in the Belper goal to net the equaliser.

Nantwich finally got themselves in front when Troy Bourne turned inside the box to fir low past the ‘keeper and three minutes later Gary Taylor-Fletcher made sure all three points were in the bag, firing home from all