Current track



Current show

The Mighty Jukebox

12:00 am 7:00 am

Current show

The Mighty Jukebox

12:00 am 7:00 am

Local Non League Results – 11.03.23

Written by on 13 March 2023

Local Non League Results – 11.03.23

By Dave Johnson

Congleton Town 1 v 1 Bury AFC (Congleton win 5-4 on penalties)

Everybody will be switching on Talk Sport on Monday afternoon for the semi-final draw of the FA Vase after Congleton moved a step closer to Wembley Stadium after they beat Bury at the Cleric Stadium.

The game finished all-square at 1-1 after 90 minutes and it was decided on penalties, with the Bears going through 5-4 after their ‘keeper Dave Parton saved Bury’s fourth spot-kick.

It was Congleton who had the upper hand in the game when Daniel Needham struck with a thunderous shot into the bottom left corner with eleven minutes played – advantage Congleton.

Just three minutes later the visitors proved they were a force to be reckoned with when Parton in the Congleton goal was beaten by Ben Wharton for the equaliser.

There were no further goals in the game, but the visitors twice came close in the final minutes of the game, with two of their efforts being cleared off the line

Lewis Short showed he had nerves of steel as he stepped up to take the all-important and deciding fifth Bears’ penalty kick, putting it past Bury ‘keeper Jack Atkinson to the delight of a packed-out Cleric Stadium.

Newcastle Town 0 v 2 Macclesfield

Macclesfield moved a step closer to the league title and automatic promotion with a two-nil win over ten-men Newcastle at the Lyme Valley Stadium.

Newcastle’s hopes of getting something from the game against runaway leaders Macclesfield were dealt a severe blow when goalkeeper Joe Slinn was red-carded on 25 minutes.

They held out until half time though, but just four minutes after the restart the Slikmen went ahead when Alex Curran fired past stand-in ‘keeper James Askey.

Despite their disadvantage, the home side were still in the game until ten minutes from time Brendan Lee lashed the ball home to effectively wrap up the points for the Silkmen, leaving them with a ten-point advantage at the top of the table.

Hanley Town 2 v 2 Kidsgrove Athletic

It wasn’t the result either side had been looking for after the local derby between Hanley Town and Kidsgrove Athletic finished at 2-2 at the Potteries Park.

A win for the Grove would have seen them close the gap between themselves and fifth placed Clitheroe to just three points and Hanley’s bid to escape the bottom would have been helped had they won the game.

Grove were the first to settle when Josh Thorpe put them ahead after 8 minutes, but with 29 minutes played Sam Turner levelled for the hosts.

The visitors got their noses in front at what is often described as the perfect time when Keiran Knapper netted on the stroke of half time, but with five minutes remaining Eden Bailey rescued a point for Hanley to end the game all-square.

Bamber Bridge 2 v 1 Stafford Rangers

A goal in each half for Bamber Bridge top scorer Fin Sinclair-Smith consigned Stafford Rangers to defeat at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium and according to boss Matty Hall they only had themselves to blame.

Rangers fell behind as early as the 9th minute when Fin Sinclair-Smith netted his 15th goal of the season, but Luis Morrison-Derbyshire leveled four minutes into the second half.

Rangers gave the home side an opportunity to go in front again when the home side conceded a penalty, which Sinclair-Smith duly tucked away.

Hill said after the game: “I’m very disappointed – angry to be honest, because again it’s a game that we’ve lost now due to the fact of us giving the opposition the chance to win it – we gave them that.”

Nantwich Town 2 v 1 Lancaster City

Lancaster’s recent run of one defeat in their last six outings was blemished by a Nantwich side who showed what they have to do if they are to avoid the drop as they came from behind to take the three points.

The visitors fell behind midway through the first half when Nic Evangelinos tucked away a cross from Sam Bailey’s cross to leave the Dabbers with a job on their hands.

On the stroke of half time Nantwich were given a lifeline when the referee pointed to the spot and Byron Harrison sent the ‘keeper the wrong way to put the home side back on level terms.

Just six minutes into the second half Steve Hewitt hit one into the top corner to put the Dabbers in front. Liversedge ‘keeper Sam Waller got his fingertips on it but the show was too powerful to give him any chance of making the save