17.05.23 – Giant Orange Carbon Emmissions bubble, SCO Ethics, transparency and Audit panel recruits
Written by Hitmix Local News on 16 May 2023
A giant orange bubble will be at Newcastle’s market today to present an eye-catching message about carbon consumption. The 10 metre high bubble will be on The Stones from 11am and represents one tonne of carbon emissions – the average person is responsible for 5.3 tonnes a year.
The display is organised by the Staffordshire Sustainability Board, a group comprising leaders and chief executives from Staffordshire’s nine councils, including Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council.
Newcastle is the first stop on the carbon bubble’s tour of Staffordshire and there will be a team on-hand to offer practical advice about reducing your carbon footprint.
The tour will be visiting:
- Newcastle Market Square, Wednesday 17th May
- Burton Market Square, Saturday 27th May
- Staffordshire County Show Ground, Stafford | Wednesday 31st May – Thursday 1st June for the annual County Show
- Leek Market Square, Saturday 24th June
- Beacon Park, Lichfield, Wednesday 2nd August
- Castle Grounds, Tamworth, Tuesday 8th August
- Hednesford Park, Cannock, Saturday 12th August
- Baggeridge Country Park, South Staffordshire, Monday 14th August
Inflated using a generator powered by Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, all the emissions generated by the bubble’s transport have been fully offset.
The Staffordshire Sustainability Board is dedicated to developing and implementing practical carbon reduction initiatives throughout the county and more information can be found on the Staffordshire County Council Website.
The Staffordshire Commissioner’s Office is looking for local people with accountancy skills to join a panel which supports the continuous improvement of the Police and Fire service.
The Ethics, Transparency and Audit Panel is made up of residents from across Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent who examine Policing, and Fire & Rescue, to strengthen public scrutiny.
The panel oversees the governance arrangements of the Staffordshire Commissioners Office, the Police, and Fire & Rescue, and is the statutory Audit Committee for all three organisations.