Current track

Title

Artist

Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm

Current show

The BIG Drive Home

2:00 pm 6:00 pm


30.01.23 – Community Heroes Awards in Newcastle, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Reminders, Six HGV’s slashed in NUL

Written by on 29 January 2023

Community heroes in Newcastle-under-Lyme are to be honoured for the first time in a local awards scheme.

The Borough Council is launching the inaugural “Newcastle Heroes” awards, with a ceremony at the Mayor’s Charity Ball at the end of March.

Categories for the awards will include “Community Champion”, “Young Hero” and “Lifetime Achievement”.

Applications can be made online, by email or by [post and the closing date is Friday 10th March.

Applications can be made online, by e-mailing Susan.Davies@newcastle-staffs.gov.uk or via post to Susan Davies at Castle House, Barracks Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Newcastle, ST5 1BL.

The closing date is Friday, 10 March 2023 at 5pm.

_______________________________________________________

Firefighters are urging residents to ensure their electrical items are safe to use following an accidental house fire caused by an overheated socket in Dilhorne last week.   A man, in his 90s, was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital for treatment.

Faulty electrics such as overloaded sockets and faulty electrical appliances cause around 7,000 house fires across the country every year.

Matthew Melland, Station Manager at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, advises on how people can use their electrical appliances safely.

“Make sure all electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark when you buy them.

“Don’t overload your sockets – keep one appliance to one plug where possible and use the socket overload calculator to reduce the risk of fire.

“Unplug appliances when you are going to bed or not using them.

“High powered appliances such as washing machines should have a single plug socket.

“Never use square box plug adapters, and if using a strip adapter/extension make sure it’s fused and don’t overload it.

“If using a cable drum extension lead, it should be completely unwound to avoid overheating.”

The register my appliance website is designed to make it quicker and easier for the public to register all of their appliances. It provides up-to-date, accurate, contact information for owners who have acquired specific models of appliances within the last twelve years, so manufacturers can issue safety updates or repair notifications to the right homes. The website provides access to the registration pages of over 40 leading brands of domestic appliances, including most of the UK’s top-selling brands of major white goods.

Other electrical items should be registered with the manufacturer when you purchase them. They can be checked for recalls and registered using the Electrical Safety First website.

For more advice around electrical safety, visit Electrical Safety | Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Firefighters have also issued a candle safety reminder after attending a house fire in Stoke-on-Trent recently.  They were called to an address on Meigh Road in Werrington following reports of a fire in the conservatory of the property. A woman suffered minor smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure for further checks.  Following an inspection, Firefighters believe that the fire was caused by accidental ignition from a candle.

Station Manager, Jonathan Jackson, said: “It’s really important you never leave candles unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.
“We recommend swapping traditional candles for LED flameless ones as they are much safer, but if you do use real candles, follow the simple safety tips shared on our website.”
For more information please visit: Candle safety (staffordshirefire.gov.uk)

____________________________________________________________

A man has been arrested after six HGVs were slashed in Newcastle-under-Lyme last week.

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, proactive officers spotted an Audi A3 which was parked in a layby at junction 16 of the A500, it was parked behind a number of HGVs, six of which had been slashed before police arrived.  Four men fled the scene but Police caught up with one of them.  A 40 year old man from West Yorkshire and the audi were searched – the man was arrested on suspicion of drug driving, being equipped for theft, possessing a class B drug and vehicle interference.  Enquiries are ongoing.