Current track



Current show

The Mighty Jukebox

12:00 am 7:00 am

Current show

The Mighty Jukebox

12:00 am 7:00 am

Local Non-League Match Reports – 28.01.22

Written by on 30 January 2023

Local Non-League Match Reports – 28.01.22

By Dave Johnson

Workington 3 v 0 Newcastle Town

Newcastle made the long trip home from Workington empty-handed as they fell to defeat as the home side consolidated third place in the table with a 3-0 win.

The visitors managed to keep their hosts at bay form much of the first half. But two minutes before the interval Workington were awarded a spot kick, which Scott Allison tucked away.

Castle were still in the game until conceding a further two goals in a six minute spell as they saw all of their good work come to nothing.

Sam Smith was on the mark, doubling the lead for the Reds in the 73rd minute, and David Symington put the game firmly to bed when he netted the third in the 79th minute,]

Kidsgrove Athletic 1 v 2 Skelmersdale United

Kidsgrove’s play-off ambitions took a blow when they were beaten at home by a Skelmersdale side fighting to move away from the drop zone.

Grove created enough first half chances to win the game but failed to put any of them away and the two sides finished the opening forty five minutes goalless.

The home side fell behind in the 71st minute when Declan McLaughlin beat Grove ‘keeper Sam Booth to put Skelmersdale in the driving seat with under twenty minutes remaining.

Their lead didn’t last too long, however, and Kieran Knapper netted to give the home side a chance of at least a point, but in the 87th minute Taylor Prescott sealed the points for the visitors.

Mossley 2 v 1 Hanley Town

Hanley’s position in the bottom four didn’t get any better as they fell to defeat at promotion-chasing Mossley at Seel Park, finishing with ten men.

Hanley got off to a disastrous start, conceding in the first minute of the game when goalkeeper Kieran Harrison was beaten by Jack Bannister.

And in the14th minute the referee awarded the home side a penalty when Freddie Sass was upended in the box and Mason Fawns scored from the spot.

Hanley hit a consolation goal when the ball came back off the post and Eden Bailey was on hand to follow up in the 90th minute and there was still time for more drama when Hanley ‘keeper Harrison was red-carded.

Runcorn Linnets 0 v 1 Leek Town

One of only two sides to inflict defeat on Neil Baker’s side in the league this season, Runcorn were looking to complete an unlikely double over promotion-chasing Leek at the Apec Taxis Stadium.

Linnets had been below par in their last few games but were obviously up for it in this one and they gave a good account of themselves against a determined Leek outfit.

But with no goals during the first half it was still anybody’s to win, and the visitors were the first to get the breakthrough, going ahead in the 62nd minute.

It was Marc Grocott who managed to get on the scoresheet and it was enough to take the three points back home to the Staffordshire Moorlands as Leek kept up the pressure at the top of the table,

Macclesfield 4 v 2 Colne

Macclesfield’s promotion train looks extremely unlikely to come off the rails as they took another step towards the prize with another three points and another four goals.

The Silkmen took an early lead when Neil Kengni took flight down the right flank before cutting inside and firing past Colne ‘keeper Tom Donaghy at his near post.

Alex Curran hit Macclesfield’s second on the half hour and six minutes later boss Neil Danns added their third to put his side firmly in command.

The visitors pulled one back when Enock Lusiama netted from the penalty spot but two minutes later Danns restored his side’s two-goal advantage before Lucas WWeaver grabbed a consolation goal a minute from time.

Congleton Town 0 v 0 Avro

Three games in the space of five action packed days finally caught up on Congleton as they finished all square at the Cleric Stadium against Avro.

It will definitely be seen as a point gained, rather than two points dropped, against a side sitting in a respectable third place in the table.

The visitors had a chance hacked off the line on the hour and thet was the closest either side came to grabbing an all-important winner.

The point sees the Bears remain in seventh spot and are back in action on Wednesday when they travel to The Brian Addison Stadium in Blackpool where they take on Squires Gate.

Stafford Rangers 2 v 0 Marske United

After seemingly going off the rails a little in recent weeks, Stafford rekindled their faint play-off hopes putting an end to a dreadful run of results.

Going into the game after a run of five consecutive defeats, it was imperative they came out of this one with their heads held high, and they did just that with three precious points.

Half an hour into the game Jack Baxter settled any nerves there may have been when his hit the opener, finding the top corner of the net to beat Marske custodian Mick Roxburgh.

Rangers’ second goal was credited to the unfortunate Roxburgh who, in the 82nd minute, looked to have collected a long throw by Tom Tonks, only to drop the ball, which fell into the back of the net.

Whitby Town 1 v 1 Nantwich

With both sides fighting to avoid a bottom four place come the end of the season, this was a huge game for the two of them at the Turnbull Ground.

Goalless at the half time interval, the game finally burst into life early in the second half when James Caton gave the Dabbers the advantage with the game’s opening goal.

They didn’t hold on to their lead for too long, however, and in the 56th minute the Seasiders drew level when there was a big scramble in the box, culminating in a goal scored by Bradley Fewster.

It ensured the game in North Yorkshire finished honours even. It could end up being a valuable point for both sides, but it will still disappoint those connected with the Dabbers.